FBC Muskogee Core Beliefs
First Baptist Church of Muskogee, Oklahoma strives to center our beliefs on Jesus Christ and His teachings. To understand our statement of faith, the following three pieces are vital:
- We will focus our teachings and church on the non-debatable principles of Scripture/the Bible while leaving freedom for personal convictions related to non doctrinal issues. Our highest desire is to live in the light of biblical principles and remaining culturally relevant without sacrificing God’s Word.
- We believe that becoming a follower of Jesus results in active participation in the church.
- We have a biblical purpose that guides everything we do. It is found in Matthew 28:19-20. This purpose/vision drives us at all times even if it means not doing some things that we could do. Our calling and mission is clear and will guide us into the future.
- God is the all loving, all just Creator of the heavens and the earth, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. Genesis 1:1, 26; Psalm 119:89-91; John 1:1-5, 4:24; Romans 1:19-20; Ephesians 4:5-6
- Jesus is the eternal and second person of the Trinity. He is fully divine and became fully human. He was born of a virgin, Mary, and lived a sinless life. His crucifixion and resurrection freed all people who turn to Him from sin and death. He will return again, ushering in the eternal Kingdom of God. All who, by repentance of sin, put their faith in Jesus will live forever with Him. Matthew 1:18-25; John 1:1-5, 12:44-45, 24:46; Acts 4:12; Hebrews 4:14-16; Colossians 1:13-18; I Thessalonians 4:16-17
- The Holy Spirit is the eternal and third person of the Trinity. He is the Spirit of the living God. He draws men and women to God through Jesus. The Holy Spirit is the spirit of God, placed in us, as His gift, at the point of salvation. The Spirit is God’s presence in our lives that gives us the power, conviction of sin, and guidance to walk with Jesus and to be transformed like Him to serve others. Matthew 28:19-20; John 14:16-17, 16:5-15; Acts 1:7-8; I Corinthians 12:1-31; Galatians 5:22-23
- The Bible is the expressed, inerrant word of God and is our final authority in all matters of faith and practice. II Timothy 3:16; Psalms 119:89-91; II Peter 1:20-21
- Salvation, a free gift of God, is God’s desire for all humanity to be in a relationship with Him. In turning from a self-centered life and turning to Jesus and accepting His work accomplished in His death and resurrection, one receives a new and eternal life with God. John 3:16-17, 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 10:9-10; Ephesians 2:8-10; I Timothy 2:4; I John 2:2, 5:10-13
- Unity is essential to the body of believers, called the church. There is only one universal church, made up of all who have received Jesus Christ in the world today. Romans 12:4-5; Ephesians 2:19-22, 4:11-16; Hebrews 10:24-25
More details on our core doctrines can be found in the Faith and Message attachment at the end of this section.
First Baptist Church of Muskogee, Oklahoma has 10 core values that define our church. These values aid our church in encouraging and supporting the unique gifts of our members and guests.
- The Bible is our authority and is relevant for today. Psalm 119:105; II Samuel 22:31; Colossians 3:16; Hebrews 4:12; James 1:22
- In corporate worship, we celebrate God’s presence and involvement in our lives. I Chronicles 16:23-29; Psalm 95:6; John 4:24
- Spiritual growth is a daily choice one makes to seek and know King Jesus. The result is a changing life. Matthew 5:12; Romans 12:2; I Corinthians 13:4-12; Galatians 5:22-26
- Every person is important to God and therefore valued by us. John 3:16-17; I John 3:1, 4:16; Hebrews 2:6
- We experience life in the community through vital, Christ-centered relationships. Hebrews 10:24
- We believe excellence honors God and inspires people. This would involve excellence in our personal walk with Jesus, our homes, our work, and our church. Matthew 6:33; Romans 12:1; I Corinthians 15:58; Colossians 3:23-24; II Timothy 1:6
- We approach life with a servant attitude. Mark 10:45
- God has given every believer spiritual gifts to use in this church. Romans 12:4-8; Ephesians 4:11-16
- Leadership is reserved for those demonstrating an exemplary commitment to Christ and the church. I Timothy 3, 6:11-12; I Peter 5:1-3
- God calls believers to unity in Christ. Ephesians 2:22; Ephesians 4:1-6; Colossians 3:12-14